Feared by gardeners, the Honey Fungus is a parasitic fungus that attacks both plants and trees. Unfortunately it is very common and once the mushroom is spotted it is too late, the damage is done and the tree or plant is lost.
Fortunately it is very tasty to eat but can give a very small amount of people an upset stomach so if it’s your first time trying it don’t eat too much.
An interesting fact is that the honey fungus is actually a bioluminescent, meaning that it glows in the dark. To see the glowing gills though you need to be in a completely dark windowless room with the mushroom so it’s not really worth the effort.
July to November
The cap of the Honey Fungus is conical when young but will flatten with age. Its colour is similar to honey, hence where the name Honey Fungus came from. Something to look out for is the cap’s slight umbo or nipple.
The gills of the Honey Fungus are white but turn yellow to brown with age.
The stem of the Honey Fungus is a darker yellow to brown brown colour with scales and a bulbous base. A skirt should be present around the stem as well.
Mainly found in clusters on the trunks of broadleaf trees, the Honey Fungus can also be found in grassland or gardens.